Research and discussion
Page updated May 2012
Memorials to T. E. Lawrence
Click on any picture to open a larger image in a new window
Clouds Hill, Moreton, Dorset
Lawrence's cottage, together with its furnishings, was presented in 1939 to the National Trust by A. W. Lawrence as a memorial to his brother. The cottage is not open every day, so it is worth checking current opening times with the National Trust before planning a visit.
Clouds Hill visitor information and opening times, National Trust website (opens in a new window)
Pictures of Clouds Hill taken shortly after Lawrence's death in 1935
T.E. Lawrence at Clouds Hill, a detailed account of Lawrence's association with the cottage drawn from his correspondence
List of books in Lawrence's library at Clouds Hill in 1935, from T.E. Lawrence by his Friends (London, Jonathan Cape, 1937) [In progress: only authors beginning with 'A' currently online]
A National Trust guide booklet is for sale at the cottage
A.W. Lawrence, ed., T.E. Lawrence by his Friends (London, Jonathan Cape, 1937) contains 'Books at Clouds Hill' pp.476-510, 'Gramophone Records at Clouds Hill' pp.523-9, and other references
Lawrence's neighbour Pat Knowles, a former National Trust guardian of Clouds Hill, wrote a memoir, published as Clouds Hill - Dorset, "An handful with quietness" (Weymouth, E.V.G. Hunt, n.d.)
There is further information in Bob Hunt, The life and times of Joyce E. Knowles (Weymouth, E.V.G. Hunt, 1994).
There are ground-floor and first-floor plans of the cottage in Wilson (plates following p.868)
Lawrence's grave is in the new cemetery of Moreton church. The gravestones - perhaps more overtly religious in tone than Lawrence would have liked - were chosen by his mother and his elder brother Bob. The stone at the foot of the grave, partly covered with flowers in this photo, carries the motto of Oxford University: 'Dominus illuminatio Mea' (The Lord is my light) Psalms xxvii.I. Unidentified photographer
St. Martin's Church, Wareham, Dorset
Site of Lawrence's fatal accident, between Clouds Hill and near Bovington Camp, Dorset
A tree has been planted to mark the site of Lawrence's fatal motor-cycle accident. Plaques marking the event have repeatedly been stolen. There is a stone memorial nearby
The Royal Society of Asian Affairs
The Lawrence of Arabia Memorial Medal is presented from time to time by the Royal Society of Asian Affairs. List of recipients
Saint Paul's Cathedral
There is a cast of Eric Kennington's 1926 bronze bust of Lawrence in the crypt of Saint Paul's Cathedral. It was unveiled by Lord Halifax, Chancellor of the University of Oxford, at a service on 29 January 1936. The text of Lord Halifax's speech was published by Oxford University Press. Unidentified photographer
14 Barton Street
A blue wall plaque marks No. 14 Barton Street, Westminster. When in London, Lawrence used to occupy an attic room in this house, which was at that time used as an architect's office. He wrote much of Seven Pillars of Wisdom there during 1919-20 and completed his Odyssey translation there in 1931. The attic has since been substantially altered and the house, now part of Westminster School, is not open to the public. Photographer of house unidentified. Photo. of plaque courtesy of Michael Dornieden.
Union Jack Club
A plaque records that Lawrence used the Union Jack Club (a club for non-commissioned ranks serving in the British armed forces) during his service years. The Union Jack Club has moved since Lawrence's time and is not open to the public.
Oxford High School
A memorial wall plaque by Eric Kennington was unveiled by Winston Churchill at the City of Oxford High School for Boys on 3 October 1936. In 1966, when the school was merged with Southfield School to form the Oxford School, the plaque was moved to the new school premises in Glanville Road, Cowley. For information about the unveiling ceremony see Proceedings at the unveiling of the memorial to Lawrence of Arabia (Oxford, J.Thornton, 1937).
There is a plaque in Lawrence's memory in the college entrance, a cast of Eric Kennington's 1926 bronze bust of Lawrence at the entrance to the chapel and, in the Hall, a copy by Mrs Alix Jennings of Augustus John's three-quarter length oil portrait of Lawrence in Arab dress (after the original in the Tate Gallery, London).
At Bridlington, where Lawrence worked during the last months of his RAF service, there is a memorial sundial. The plaque reads: 'This sundial has been erected to the memory of Lawrence of Arabia who as Aircraftsman [sic] Shaw served in the Royal Air Force in Bridlington between 1929-1935.'
Hythe, HampshireThere is a blue plaque on Myrtle Cottage, where Lawrence stayed while working in the British Power Boat Company yard at at Hythe.
Lawrence's birthplace. The two photographs below are some years old. Photographer unknown.
T. E. Lawrence chronology
1888 16 August: born at Tremadoc, Wales
1896-1907: City of Oxford High School for Boys
1907-9: Jesus College, Oxford, B.A., 1st Class Hons, 1909
1910-14: Magdalen College, Oxford (Senior Demy), while working at the British Museum's excavations at Carchemish
1915-16: Military Intelligence Dept, Cairo
1916-18: Liaison Officer with the Arab Revolt
1919: Attended the Paris Peace Conference
1919-22: wrote Seven Pillars of Wisdom
1921-2: Adviser on Arab Affairs to Winston Churchill at the Colonial Office
1922 August: Enlisted in the Ranks of the RAF
1923 January: discharged from the RAF
1923 March: enlisted in the Tank Corps
1923: translated a French novel, The Forest Giant
1924-6: prepared the subscribers' abridgement of Seven Pillars of Wisdom
1927-8: stationed at Karachi, then Miranshah
1927 March: Revolt in the Desert, an abridgement of Seven Pillars, published
1928: completed The Mint, began translating Homer's Odyssey
1929-33: stationed at Plymouth
1931: started working on RAF boats
1932: his translation of the Odyssey published
1933-5: attached to MAEE, Felixstowe
1935 February: retired from the RAF
1935 19 May: died from injuries received in a motor-cycle crash on 13 May
1935 21 May: buried at Moreton, Dorset