Cookie policy: on www.telstudies.org we use analytics cookies to understand how visitors use the site. The anonymous information they provide suggests improvements and alerts us to technical errors. For more information, see our cookies page, which also explains how to block or remove cookies.  Search T. E. Lawrence Studies

Research & Discussion

General biography

Rejected legend

Youth 1888-1914

War service 1914-1918

Diplomacy 1918-1922

Service years 1922-1935

Lawrence's personality

Writings and criticism

Lawrence and book production

Film, TV, radio

Book reviews

Bibliography & Collecting

Obituaries

Discussion list

Review commentary by Jeremy Wilson on Lawrence, the Uncrowned King of Arabia by Michael Asher

(London, Viking, 1998)

previous page | Page 21 | Chapter 3 

Chapter 2: Dominus Illuminatio Mea
Schooldays, 1896-1905 (10 pages)

page/para/line
30/1/15  "the school fear hanging over one - that haphazardly suspended punishment which made my years between eight and eighteen a misery." The reference for this (reference 23) is completely wrong. It points to a letter to Charlotte Shaw printed in Malcolm Brown's Letters page 305, in which there is a passage about Lawrence's schooldays; but it is not this one. In reality the "quote" appears to be a corrupt transcription from The Mint part 2 chapter 19, penultimate para: "there is the school-fear over me, that working against hazardously suspended penalty which made my life from eight to eighteen miserable, and Oxford, after it, so noble a freedom."
30/1/17 "Far from being the 'delight and profit' she might have wished, Sarah destroyed Lawrence's life and made certain that he would never achieve happiness or fulfilment." I don't in the least agree with this statement, which seems to me to be simplistic psycho-babble. The highly speculative sentences that follow are hardly better, e.g. "in her own mind she [Sarah Lawrence] was still the terrified little girl who would never know why she had been so heinously abandoned to the whims of the dark universe." This is complete fiction.
30/1/end of page. The unstated source for Asher's story about Sarah Lawrence and A. W. Lawrence's marriage is John E. Mack, A Prince of Our Disorder, Boston, Little, Brown, 1976, p. 474 note 50 (the story is accurately quoted/summarised here). A.W. Lawrence's sense of confusion, assuming that it was not pure coincidence, would have resulted from his anticipation of her reaction, rather than thought-transmission between England and Greece.
31/1/11 "his great task in life was to escape from her." Surely a greatly over-simplified conclusion?
31/2 Neither the exact date, nor the duration, nor the precise cause of Lawrence's boyhood enlistment are known. It is reasonable to point to the various factors that might have played a part, but hardly in quite so certain a manner as Asher: "Sarah disapproved [of Lawrence's wish to switch from mathematics to history], sensing instinctively a move away from her. The matter became contentious". This sentence too is fiction. Next page.

Copyright, privacy, contact | Cookies help